Executive Chef - 73818
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. The Department is the steward for one-third of Stanfords physical plant and has a $234 million annual operating budget. R&DE comprises 800+ staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost (SAVP Office), Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Communications. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
ABOUT STANFORD DINING:
R&DE Stanford Dining, a division of Residential & Dining Enterprises, serves over 12,000 meals per day. Its operations include11 undergraduate dining halls, two late-night dining operations,Schwab Executive Dining, an athletic training table program, the Teaching Kitchen @ Stanford, Community BeWell Gardens, and summer conference dining. As the dining department of the worlds premier research and teaching institution, R&DE Stanford Dining promotes food as a multidisciplinary educational experience and engages students in food issues such as those related to health, the environment, social equity and the global economy. R&DE Stanford Dining has been recognized for its culinary excellence by awards such as the prestigious industry Ivy Award by Restaurants and Institutions for its environmental leadership role, by numerous awards such as the Acterra Award for Sustainability, and most recently was named Most Vegan-Friendly College by peta2 for its vegan and vegetarian offerings, and certified as a Responsible Epicurean and Agricultural Leadership (REAL) restaurant by the United States Healthful Food Council for its use of nutrition and sustainability best practices. For more information, please visitwww.dining.stanford.edu.
Oversee all culinary-related activities of food service operations and have responsibility for a campus region's systematic performance. Work in conjunction with the designated food service managers and chefs to meet revenue and expense goals.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Lead recipe and menu planning by creating theme menus and recipes that align with organizational business optimization, quality, and customer service standards.
- Promote health and safety standards by ensuring all operations are delivering effective and complete food safety and hygiene programs and by performing real-time assessments on program completion.
- Lead comprehensive business optimization by reviewing and analyzing operations' inventory practices, designating changes and monitoring implementation, systematically integrating with organizational quality, safety, storage, certifications, and waste management goals, ensuring facilities' equipment is maintained and forecasting necessary replacements, overseeing and ensuring operations are controlling labor and operating expenses through effective scheduling, budgeting, purchasing decisions, and inventory control, and overseeing and reviewing forecasting and strategic budgeting.
- Lead and model effective employee and staff relations by evaluating, leading, motivating, coaching, and providing corrective action for direct reports.
Education & Experience:
Accredited college program or degree, preferably specializing in a culinary program, or combination of education and relevant experience. Seven years of culinary management experience directing a large staff/multi-meal plan location/large volume cooking.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to execute creative menu development.
- Ability to apply business optimization principles and techniques across the organization.
- Ability to champion innovative ideas and concepts by utilizing cutting edge trends and maintaining current industry standards.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to harmoniously and professionally manage and work with co-workers and supervisors.
- Ability to operate computer equipment and food and beverage computer systems.
- Ability to operate and utilize culinary production equipment and tools.
- Understanding and ability to apply local, state, and federal health and sanitation laws.
- Reading, writing, and oral proficiency in the English language.
- Understanding and application of basic training techniques.
Certifications and Licenses:
- ServSafe CA Certification.
- Constantly stand, walk, chop and mix.
- Frequently twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Occasionally lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 50.
- Ability to see food presentation and taste all types of food (glutens, dairy, all protein, vegetables, and starches).
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Scheduled days and work hours may vary based on operational need.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Job: Food Services
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises
Job Code: 7623