Production Engineer - EN - Chicagoland-1700129
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens
BASF is the world's leading chemical company and its portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future.
Production Engineer EN (1700129)
You will support the day-to-day operation of the respective process units assigned providing technical support and process definition needed to execute the required production plan. As Production Engineer, you will have strong leadership in the area of process safety and occupational safe plant operation with adherence to BASF Process Safety rules and policies. You will play an important role in driving standardization across shifts, optimizing fixed and variable unit costs, improving quality, while working closely with other support groups like Maintenance Reliability to insure that proper priorities are placed on items in the Maintenance backlog. You will be instrumental in leading troubleshooting efforts when problems arise and be a 24/7-solution provider requiring off hours support as assigned.
Formula for Success: You Will
- Provide guidance and input to the achievement and development of plant goals, objectives, and operational budgets.
- Generate and complete MOCs, revalidate temporary MOCs to confirm they are still valid. Responsible to maintain P&IDs.
- Provide Technical Support and troubleshooting expertise to Daily Operational Team for plant problems that occur.
- Be on-call and respond to any after hour event that impacts production or EHS (Safety).
- Provide technical and leadership support in AIMS Investigations; root cause failure analysis, specifically process safety, but including of production, EHS, and Quality Incidents.
- Ensure proper definition and documentation of operating files, SOPs, emergency SOPs, records, reporting procedures, and technical files as well as the annual recertification of their applicability.
- Participate in production planning and scheduling.
- Identify Lean Opportunities and support implementation of these Lean Projects.
- Maintain staffing flexibility by cross training with other technical engineers and chemists as needed.
- Interface with suppliers, customers, and vendors as assigned and needed.
- Monitor and track BOM and Recipes, reviewing per schedule, identify gaps and close or adjust if closure is not option.
- Support, lead, and role model EHS activities and EHS processes
- Lead PHAs and maintain ownership for Process Safety Information (PSI) inclusive of Safety Concept
- Lead AIMS investigation for Process Safety and support others as assigned; insuring root cause analysis and corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence are identified and closed out.
- Responsible for critical PSM/RCMS elements and processes, MON Reporting, Title V reporting, MOCs, PSSRs, Lockout Tagout (SECs), Interlock and Bypass Procedures, Safe Work Permit, Operational Procedures, Confined Space, Employee Participation, and Hot Work.
- Perform observations on safe work practices, compliance to basic rules, and set high standards for housekeeping
- Review and improve the process capability to achieve designated targets; identify opportunities
- Review First Time Quality; identify and implement opportunities for improvement
- Lead NCM investigation for Process Quality, support Product Quality, insuring root cause analysis and corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence are identified and closed out.
- Evaluate off grade/SMOG and develop rework and/disposition justification
- Support the quality process with required technical subject matter as needed
- Provide training to technical team members and coordination of assigned task within the group.
- Work with Operations & Maintenance Coordinator to set priorities for equipment repairs
- Ensure equipment preps/practices for are standardized and consistent amongst all shifts to assure timely delivery of equipment to maintenance.
- Function as liaison with service groups and outside contractors to ensure that the work related to the production facilities is accomplished correctly, promptly, and in the most cost effective manner
- Provide technical and leadership support to the technology group to implement plant trials as needed
- Evaluate and manage technology and implementation of new products and process improvements deemed viable for commercial application.
- Provide technical evaluation for waste minimization and utility minimization efforts.
- Provide annual targets and opportunities for OpX projects in Capacity, Cycle Time, Yield, Cost Reductions, and Energy Reductions. Document same in database.
- Responsible for automation & DCS improvements and alarm management process/procedures
- Process lead on assigned projects; scope development, scope ownership, design basis and leadership of Specification review, Step Reviews, and Start Up plans.
- Develop justification and ROI as required
- Serve a Manufacturing representative on Capital Project. Acting as advocate for all functions. Leading and managing the commissioning process
- Support the training process with required technical subject matter as needed
- Provide training to technical team members and coordination of assigned task within the group.
- Review and validate production data and production reports as needed to support the production accounting process, inclusive of BOM/MR review and validation, (cycle time and yield).
- Validation of process capacity and asset effectiveness.
- Interface with the scheduling and shipment of products, wastes, co-products, and inbound raw materials as needed
- Assist and support Production Superintendent on goals and manage performance of Shift Supervisors and Operators,
- Support Production Superintendent in the alignment of shift activities and shift goals.
- Participate in the optimization of scheduled and unscheduled downtime
- Coordinate with AE Mgmt and OMC the scheduling / execution of inspection (SIS, PSV, NDE inspections, and OCIs) work and outages (including process change overs in A44 and WFE changes, A19 Filter changes )
- Promote Autonomous Maintenance and appropriate level of training
- Assist the Asset Effectiveness team in the assignment of lost production via AE tool
- Assist the OMC in the coordination, planning, and execution of shutdown or turnaround work including maintenance and capital activities.
- Develop and maintain the capacity of the operating unit and identify opportunities for optimization.
- Participate in identifying and implementing reliability activities to increase availability and reduce fixed costs
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support youthe whole youin all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You
- BS Degree in an Engineering discipline is required. Degree in Chemical Engineering preferred.
- At least 3 years broad chemical or regulated plant experience production, maintenance, technical preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of Food GMP, Food Safety, PSM, and PS Information regulatory requirement.
- Good communication skills written and verbal
- Conflict management skills
- Ability to work effectively with operators, management, and possess strong influence skills working with indirect resource groups
- Excellent organizational skills, Attention to detail and task closure
- Unquestionable Integrity
- Respect for diverse opinion and recognition of contribution culture building skills
- Strong bias for process safety and culture change
- Must demonstrate strong agility in the following competencies:
Business and Financial Acumen,
Leading Employees to Success,
Strive for Achievement,
Work Management & Attention to Detail
Team working, and
Primary Location: US-IL-Kankakee
Function: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Organization: N-EN/N-Regional Business Management Nutrition & Health North America